Thursday, December 15, 2005

The Baltic Pearl

In a speech I gave in London recently I illustrated my thesis on the dynamic developments in the East of Europe with some examples taken from the Gulf of Finland - the key area where the Nordic area, the Baltic countries and Russia comes together.

One of the examples I gave in passing was the impressive Chinese investment in St Petersburg.

The link below shows the details, although I understand that a more recent version of the project means that it will be even bigger.

For up towards 2 billion dollars, a new city for 35 000 people will be built, along with major commercial centers and different public services.

It's de facto a new and very modern town that will rise up by the Gulf of Finland.

Impressive. Who would have believed this 15 years ago?

Multifunctional complex �The Baltic Pearl� - St-Petersburg.ru